IHSAA Executive Committee
Wednesday, August 5, 2009
Chairperson Paul Neidig, Nancy Alspaugh, Phil DeLong, Nathan Dean, Jim Diagostino, Robert Falls, Robert Faulkens, Phil Ford, Ken Howell, John Marks, Pam Noble, Janis Qualizza, Joe Santa, Debb Stevens, Mike Whitten, Commissioner Blake Ress, Assistant Commissioners Bobby Cox, Phil Gardner, Sandy Searcy, Theresia Wynns, Sports Information Director Jason Wille, Communications Director Chris Kaufman, and Attorney Bob Baker.
Minutes of the June 19, 2009 meeting were recommended for approval. A motion to approve the minutes was made by Mike Whitten; seconded by Pam Noble; motion passed 15-0.
CONFLICT OF INTEREST STATEMENT
Commissioner Ress presented a Conflict of Interest Statement to be signed by the IHSAA Executive Committee members.
APPROVE TENNIS TOURNAMENT DETAILS
Assistant Commissioner Wynns presented information related to the 2009-10 Tennis Tournament. The changes are listed as follows:
Sectionals Format remains unchanged.
Regionals Format remains unchanged.
Semi-States Sixteen teams advance to the semi-state level. Four teams at four sites will play a match in the morning. The two winners will advance to the state championships.
State Eight teams advance to the state championships. Four matches will be played on Friday afternoon, at 3:00pm. Two matches will be played at 10:00am on Saturday. The state championship match will be played at 2:00pm (no consolation match will be played).
Draw to be held at the IHSAA office on Monday, September 26 at 8:00 a.m.
SINGLES AND DOUBLES TOURNAMENT
Sectionals Format remains unchanged.
Regionals Singles and doubles advance to the regional level held at four sites. The singles and doubles winner from each site advancing to the state championships.
State Format remains unchanged.
A motion to approve was made by Phil Ford; seconded by Jim Diagostino; motion approved 15-0.
APPROVE SOFTBALL RULE MOVING A PITCHINER’S PLATE TO 43’
Assistant Commissioner Searcy presented information that summarized the NFHS rule which permits state associations to move the pitching plate to 43’ in the 2009-10 school year. The pitching distance will be mandated for all states in 2010-11. The IHSAA staff recommended that all member schools use the 43’ pitching distance at all levels, for the 2009-10 softball season.
A motion to approve was made by Phil Ford; seconded by Jim Diagostino; motion approved 14-0-1 with Mike Whitten abstaining.
APPROVE 2008-09 COMMITTEE APPOINTMENTS
Chairperson Phil Hoskins distributed the 2008-09 committee appointments to Executive Committee members:
1. Investment Committee – Chairperson John Marks, Nancy Alspaugh, Phil DeLong, Jim Diagostino, Robert Falls.
2. Personnel Committee – Chairperson Geoff Penrod, Nancy Alspaugh, Phil DeLong, Robert Faulkens, Jed Jerrells, Debb Stevens.
3. Student Advisory Committee – Chairperson Mike Whitten, Steve Cox, Robert Faulkens, Pam Noble, Joe Santa.
4. Technology Committee – Chairperson Janis Qualizza, Tim Grove, Ken Howell, Geoff Penrod, Debb Stevens, Debb Stevens.
5. Public Relations Committee – Chairperson Phil Ford, Nathan Dean, Jed Jerrels.
A motion to approve the committee appointments was made by Phil DeLong; seconded by Robert Falls; motion passed 15-0.
APPROVE NEW APPLICATIONS FOR IHSAA MEMBERSHIP
Commissioner Ress presented a new IHSAA membership application from 21st Century Charter School of Gary, Gary, Indiana Math and Science Academy, Indianapolis, Indiana, and Trader Point Christian Academy, Whitestown, Indiana.. Following discussion, a motion to approve the applications of 21st Century Charter School of Gary, and the Indiana Math and Science Academy was made by Joe Santa; seconded by Nancy Alspaugh; motion approved 15-0.
ATTENDANCE AT CONFERENCES AND WORKSHOPS
Commissioner Ress requested permission to have representatives attend conferences and workshops outlined below:
1. The Mid-West Officials Summit to be held in Columbus, Ohio, on September 19-21, 2009. Assistant Commissioner Wynns will be an active participant in this event.
2. The National Federation Section IV meeting will be held in Stevens Point, WI, on September 24-25, 2009. Permission is requested for Commissioner Ress to attend.
3. The National Federation’s Winter Meeting will be held at San Francisco, California on January 3-5, 2010. Permission is requested for Commissioner Ress to attend.
A motion to approve the recommended participation in these workshops was made by John Marks; seconded by Robert Faulkens; motion approved 15-0.
DISTRIBUTE POLICY HANDBOOKS
Assistant Commissioner Searcy distributed the 2009-10 Policy Handbooks.
POWERS AND DUTIES OF THE EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE
Commissioner Ress reviewed those sections of the IHSAA By-laws dealing with the powers and duties of the Executive Committee.
ACCEPT PROPOSAL FOR CATASTROPHIC MEDICAL, GENERAL LIABILITY AND EXCESS LIABILITY INSURANCE
Assistant Commissioner Cox presented a proposal for the 2009-10 Catastrophic Medical , General Liability and Excess Liability insurance coverage.
REPORT FROM ASSOCIATED SPORTS PRODUCTIONS, INC.
Commissioner Ress presented the annual report on revenues generated by television, broadcasting, and internet rights during 2008-09. It was reported that the number of radio and television stations that are covering IHSAA Tournament Series events have remained consistent from past years.
IHSAA STUDENT LEADERSHIP CONFERENCE REPORT
Assistant Commissioner Searcy reported on the fifth annual IHSAA Student Leadership Conference, conducted on June 23 at Pike High School. More than 750 student athletes, athletic administrators, and principals attended the conference. Two keynote speakers and over 40 breakout session topics were provided, focusing on a curriculum designed to foster leadership and good sporting behavior.
REPORT ON PRESENCE AT INDIANA BLACK EXPO
Assistant Commissioner Wynns reported that the IHSAA sponsored a booth at the 2009 Indiana Black Expo. IHSAA staff members were on hand, as well as officials. The theme for this year was official’s recruitment, and Assistant Commissioner Wynns felt that it was a successful event. The IHSAA hopes to continue having a presence at the Black Expo in the future, as it was a positive experience.
NEW ATHLETIC DIRECTORS WORKSHOP
Assistant Commissioner Cox reported that the IHSAA hosted the New Athletic Directors Workshop on July 27, 2009 for 43 individuals. Assistant Commissioner Cox reported that over 240 new athletic directors have participated in this event over the past five years.
SPRING FINANCIAL REPORTS
The following reports were presented regarding the financial status of sports conducted during the spring season:
1. The softball balance sheet showed a large increase in total revenue, primarily due to good weather at the each level.
2. Baseball also showed a decrease compared to last year’s figures. The decreased revenue was in part, due to a change in the tournament series format.
3. The boys and girls track and field tournament series recorded a positive net balance, due in part to the commitment of host sites in their efforts to keep expenses low and good weather.
4. Girls tennis is a deficit sport that produces no gate receipts. The cost of the girl’s tennis tournament series in 2009 was higher to previous years.
5. Boys golf is a sport that generates limited income. Paid attendance at the State Finals was higher than last year’s totals, resulting in an improved deficit of approximately $61,000.
Assistant Commissioner Gardner reported on transfers that have been ruled on since August 2009:
Ineligible…………………. _ 0
Attorney Bob Baker updated the Executive Committee on the current status of pending litigation against the Association.
The following penalties were assessed for various violations of the IHSAA By-Laws:
Indianapolis Lutheran High School – Commissioner Ress reported the following action resulting from a violation of Rule 15-3.1 (Softball player participated in a camp during the contest season)
1. The Indianapolis Lutheran High School softball program is issued a warning.
2. The student athlete who participated in this non-school softball clinic during the contest season shall be suspended for the semi-final game of the softball state championships plus the first two games of the 2010 season.
Penn High School - Commissioner Ress reported the following action resulting from a violation of Rule 15-1.1 (Girls’ golfer missed regular season matches to compete in non-school tournament).
The Penn High School girls’ golf program is issued a warning.
The student athlete who participated in this non-school tournament shall be suspended from participation in two golf matches.
Terre Haute South Vigo High School – Commissioner Ress reported the following action resulting from a violation of Rule 15-3.3 (Boys’ soccer coach conducted open facility session after deadline).
1. The Terre Haute South Vigo High School boys’ soccer program is issued a warning.
2. Coach Eric Graves is reprimanded for causing this violation to occur
ITEMS FOR DISCUSSION
- Fall Area Principal Meeting Agendas – Blake Ress
- 2009-10 Media Awards – Jason Wille
- Discussion of Staff Policies
- Letter from James Perkins, District Athletic and Wellness Director, MSD of Pike Township
For the Good of the Order
A motion to adjourn the August meeting of the Executive Committee was made by Phil Ford; seconded by Jim Diagostino; motion passed 15-0. The next meeting of the Executive Committee will be at the IHSAA headquarters at 8:30 a.m. on Thursday, October 8, 2009.