The IHSAA is offering all Indiana high schools the opportunity to win the IHSAA School Sportsmanship Award, an annual presentation which will consist of a championship banner for winning schools to hang in their gymnasiums and extensive community recognition.
IHSAA Sportsmanship Award Winners
Sportsmanship, quite simply, translates to lessons in citizenship for the 160,000 young men and women who participate in high school sports in Indiana. Your enthusiastic participation in this IHSAA program will help counter possible negative influences that exist in our society in regards to sportsmanship. More importantly, it will help set a positive example for others to follow. We encourage and thank you for your school’s full support of this program.
The IHSAA is delighted to partner with the NAIA and their outstanding Champions of Character Five Star School Leadership Award Program. The enhancements this program will provide further augment our collective efforts to encourage positive sportsmanship at every IHSAA contest among all stakeholders and promote the values of education-based athletics in the Hoosier state. - Bobby Cox, Commissioner
NAIA Five-Star Leadership Banner Program - Intro
Indiana's Sportsmanship Program (PDF)
Five-Star Leadership School Award - Principal's Verification
“Good sportsmanship is viewed by the National Federation as a commitment to fair play, ethical behavior and integrity. In perception and practice, sportsmanship is defined as those qualities which are characterized by generosity and genuine concern for others. The ideals of sportsmanship apply equally to all activity disciplines. Individuals, regardless of their role in activities, are expected to be aware of their influence on the behavior of others and model good sportsmanship.”
FUNDAMENTALS OF SPORTSMANSHIP:
1. Show respect for self and others at all times.
2. Show respect for the officials. Good sportsmanship implies the willingness to accept and abide by the decisions of the officials.
3. Know, understand and appreciate the rules of the contest. Good sportsmanship suggests the importance of conforming to the spirit as well as the letter of the rules.
4. Maintain self-control at all times. Prevent the desire to win from overcoming rational behavior.
5. Recognize and appreciate skill in performance regardless of team affiliation.