Get Back in the Game
Participation in high school athletics does not have to end with high school graduation. Even if you have been away from the game for a while, you can get back in the game by becoming a licensed official in any of the 20 sports sanctioned by the Indiana High School Athletic Association.
As a licensed official, you not only have the opportunity to earn a little extra money, but also the opportunity to be a positive influence in a young person’s life. The hours are somewhat flexible and contracts can be accepted based on a day-to-day availability.
All of the information below pertains to new officials ONLY! Renewing officials must login at www.arbitersports.com and the IHSAA Central Hub to register for the 2017-18 season or more information.
To Become an IHSAA Licensed Official, you will need to complete the registration process, take a computer generated open-book test and score 75% or better. Once you are licensed, you will need to join one of the twenty-four officials associations throughout the state and attend an annual rules interpretation meeting.
Follow the directions below to begin the application process:
1. You must have an email address. You may acquire a free email address at:
-Gmail - Gmail is the Google; Web Site: http://gmail.google.com/
-Hotmail - Windows Live Hotmail; Website: http://mail.live.com/
-Yahoo Mail - Yahoo; Web Site: http://mail.yahoo.com/
2. Rules books will be sent to you for study prior to the test.
3. The cost of applying to take a test in a sport is $50.00 for up to three sports in one year. No money will be refunded.
4. Testing materials will be sent out seasonally for each sport. As soon as the materials are available before the start of the testing period, rule books will be sent out to all officials that have applied for that sport.
5. The link below takes you to the Registration page where you will complete the Registration process
- Check sports to be tested, give personal information again, and enter credit card information for payment
- Submit information to complete the registration
- You will receive a confirmation email following payment.
Click the link below to start the registration process:
2018-19 Official Registration will open Saturday, April 7
TESTING DATES FOR PART I (NEW OFFICIALS) LICENSING TESTS:
2017 IOA Wrestling Rules Class
- SOCCER, FOOTBALL, VOLLEYBALL: JUNE 15 – MARCH 31
- WRESTLING, SWIMMING, BASKETBALL, GYMNASTICS: SEPTEMBER 10 – MARCH 31
- BASEBALL, SOFTBALL, TRACK & FIELD/CROSS COUNTRY: JANUARY 8 – MARCH 31
To help you prepare to take the NFHS licensing exam to become an IHSAA wrestling official, or if you'd just like to get a more in-depth knowledge of the NFHS wrestling rules, you should register to attend the 2017 IOA Wrestling Rules Class taught by IHSAA wrestling official Jeff McClane. This class will be taught at the International Medical Group office building (across from the Indianapolis Children's Museum) for five (5) consecutive Tuesdays from Sept 5th until Oct 3th from 6 to 8 PM ET. This class is a deep dive into the NFHS wrestling rules accompanied with practice quizzes consisting of questions from previous exams. See the class registration & course plan for further details (link below).
2017-18 IOA Wrestling Rules Class Registration & Course Plan