Phone: 317-846-6601 Fax: 317-575-4244 Website: www.ihsaa.org
Blake Ress, Commissioner
October 13, 2007
NORTH CENTRAL SWEEPS CULVER FOR STATE TITLE
Top-ranked North Central of Indianapolis powered its way through two matches to finish unbeaten on Saturday and captured the 2007 IHSAA Boys Team Tennis state championship in Indianapolis.
The Panthers (26-0) blanked Culver Academies, 5-0, in the final and clinched the title winning the first three matches within 10 minutes of each other. It was the school’s 17th crown in the sport and first since 2000. No other school has more than six.
North Central’s No. 2 doubles team of Reid Garlock and Zach Savka were the first to finish winning their match over Nithin Reddy and Bobby Tehrani, 6-1, 6-1. Freshman Nick Chappell (20-2) won his No. 1 singles match moments later by the same score defeating Rogelio Lemarroy. The clinching moment came at No. 3 singles when Jami Clark toppled Culver’s previously undefeated Christian Sunseri (15-1), 6-3, 6-4.
Philipp Siebels of North Central won his match at No. 2 singles handing Frank Sunseri his first setback of the year, 7-6 (7-2), 6-1 and David Moss and Max Shelton teamed up to defeat their No. 2 doubles opponents Omar and Shareef Kattan, 6-4, 6-4.
Spencer Fields was the North Central coach and also guided the Panthers to the 2000 title. Alan Loehr was the Culver Academies coach who led the Eagles (21-2) to their first spot in a state championship match in their fifth attempt.
North Central bested first-time participant Zionsville, 4-1, in the morning semifinals, while Culver Academies advanced via a 4-1 victory over Columbus North.
Zionsville took a 4-1 decision from Columbus North in the consolation match.
Championship Match, 2 pm ET
North Central 5, Culver Academies 0. North Central (Indianapolis) finishes 26-0; Culver Academies finishes 21-2.
1. Nick Chappell (9) North Central def. Rogelio Lemarroy (12) Culver Academies, 6-1, 6-1.
2. Philipp Siebels (12) North Central def. Frank Sunseri (12) Culver Academies, 7-6 (7-2), 6-1.
3. Jami Clark (10) North Central def. Christian Sunseri (11) Culver Academies, 6-3, 6-4.
1. David Moss (11) | Max Shelton (12) North Central def. Omar Kattan (12) | Shareef Kattan (12) Culver Academies, 6-4, 6-4.
2. Reid Garlock (11) | Zach Savka (12) North Central def. Nithin Reddy (12) | Bobby Tehrani (12) Culver Academies, 6-1, 6-1.
Consolation Match, 2 pm ET
Zionsville 4, Columbus North 1. Zionsville finishes 20-3; Columbus North finishes 18-5.
1. Austin Smith (10) Columbus North def. Will Brown (12) Zionsville, 6-1, 5-7, 6-4.
2. Andrew Kahn (11) Zionsville def. David Nieters (11) Columbus North, 2-6, 7-5, 7-5.
3. Joe Hammond (10) Zionsville def. Robert Nieters (11) Columbus North, 2-6, 6-2, 7-5.
1. Marshall Brown (12) | Peter Gunderman (12) Zionsville def. Chase Harris (9) | Bryan Tucker (12) Columbus North, 6-1, 6-1.
2. J.P. Dwyer (10) | Nick Laconi (10) Zionsville def. Brandon Hedrick (10) | Sean Mahoney (9) Columbus North 7-5, 6-2.
Semifinals, 10 am ET
North Central 4, Zionsville 1.
1. Nick Chappell (9) North Central def. Will Brown (12) Zionsville, 6-0, 6-2.
2. Andrew Kahn (11) Zionsville def. Philipp Siebels (12) North Central, 6-4, 2-6, 6-2.
3. Jami Clark (10) North Central def. Joe Hammond (10) Zionsville, 6-2, 6-4.
1. David Moss (11) | Max Shelton (12) North Central def. Marshall Brown (12) | Peter Gunderman (12) Zionsville 7-6 (7-4), 6-0.
2. Reid Garlock (11) | Zach Savka (12) North Central def. J.P. Dwyer (10) | Nick Laconi (10) Zionsville, 6-4, 6-4.
Culver Academies 4, Columbus North 1.
1. Rogelio Lemarroy (12) Culver Academies def. Austin Smith (10) Columbus North, 6-1, 6-1.
2. Frank Sunseri (12) Culver Academies def. David Nieters (11) Columbus North, 6-4, 6-4.
3. Christian Sunseri (11) Culver Academies def. Robert Nieters (11) Columbus North 6-3, 6-1.
1. Omar Kattan (12) | Shareef Kattan (12) Culver Academies def. Chase Harris (9) | Bryan Tucker (12) Columbus North, 6-2, 6-2.
2. Brandon Hedrick (10) | Sean Mahoney (9) Columbus North def. Nithin Reddy (12) | Bobby Tehrani (12) Culver Academies, 2-6, 6-3, 7-6 (7-4).
NORTH CENTRAL’S MAX SHELTON NAMED MENTAL ATTITUDE AWARD WINNER
North Central High School’s Max Shelton was selected by members of the IHSAA Executive Committee as this year’s winner of the Mental Attitude Award.
The award is presented annually to a senior participant in the state finals who was nominated by his principal and coach and has demonstrated excellence in mental attitude, scholarship, leadership and athletic ability.
Shelton teamed with junior David Moss as North Central’s No. 1 doubles team. The pair won twice on Saturday to finish the season 18-8 and helped the Panthers win their first state championship since 2000.
He has been a varsity player for North Central all four years and served as team captain the last two seasons.
Shelton is the editor in chief of the school magazine, is a National Honor Society member, and founding member of the school’s Spanish newspaper supplement. He is undecided on his college but plans to study English and/or Biology.
He is the son of Ronald and Candes Shelton of Indianapolis.
Indiana Farm Bureau Insurance, the IHSAA’s corporate partner, presented a $1,000 scholarship to North Central High School in the name of Max Shelton.
VSN MEANS ACTION PHOTOGRAPHY
friends at Visual Sports Network, the IHSAA’s official photographer for all state
championship events and one of the leading action photographers in the
CHAMPIONSHIP MERCHANDISE STILL AVAILABLE
For t-shirts and other merchandise commemorating this year’s tournament or for any of our events, visit our friends at Morris, Inc.
STATE FINALS PROGRAMS AVAILABLE
be there for the state finals? You can still purchase a copy of the official
souvenir program while supplies last! Programs are $3.00 if you purchase in
person at the IHSAA Office (