33RD ANNUAL BOYS TENNIS
TEAM STATE FINALS
October 16, 1999
North Central High School, Indianapolis
JASPER WINS FIRST BOYS TENNIS STATE CHAMPIONSHIP
With all four state finalist teams looking for their first state championship, it was fifth-ranked Jasper that was left standing in the end as the 33rd Annual IHSAA Boys Tennis State Finals were decided on Saturday at North Central High School in Indianapolis.
The Wildcats (21-1) picked up wins at No. 2 and No. 3 singles and No. 2 doubles and claimed a 3-2 victory over fourth-ranked Center Grove (19-3) to win their first boys tennis state championship.
It was the school's fifth state title in any sport (three in baseball and one in boys basketball), while Center Grove finished as runner-up for the third time in the last five years (1995 and 1997). Jasper also became the second southern Indiana school to win the championship and the first since New Albany won the inaugural tournament in 1967.
Jeb Brown (No. 3 singles) and the doubles team of Jeff Braun and Mark Seger (No. 2) gave Jasper a 2-1 lead before Ross Schitter clinched the championship with his victory at No. 2 singles. Schitter took a 7-5, 6-1 decision from Center Grove's Josh Farley to finish his season a perfect 28-0. It was the second state championship in the last four months in the Schitter family as his sister, Dana, teamed with Erin Giesler to win the girls state doubles championship in June and became the first Jasper player -- boys or girls -- to win a state tennis championship.
Jasper, coached by Ed Yarbrough, advanced to its first championship match since 1987 with a 3-2 decision over second-ranked Homestead in the semifinals. During that match, Braun and Seger handed Homestead juniors Scott Miller and Ted Lohman their first loss of the year, a 6-4, 7-5 decision at No. 2 doubles. Danny Martin, who played No. 3 singles for Homestead, finished his year a perfect 16-0 after winning his semifinal match over Jeb Brown by a 6-3, 7-6 (7-5) margin. Martin, however, was unable to compete in the consolation match due to leg cramps. Homestead, looking for its first tennis crown, was making its seventh trip to the state finals in the 1990s.
Center Grove, coached by Ivan Smith, moved into its third title match of the decade by ousting seventh-ranked Munster in the other semifinal match, 4-1. Munster, which finished fourth a year ago, was the only returning team from the 1998 state finals.
Homestead (21-2) edged Munster (22-2) by a 3-2 score in the consolation match.
JASPER'S JEB BROWN NAMED MENTAL ATTTITUDE AWARD WINNER
Jeb Brown of Jasper High School was selected by the IHSAA Executive Committee as the recipient of the Mental Attitude Award in Boys Tennis. The award is given annually to a senior player in the state finals who excels in mental attitude, scholarship, leadership and athletic ability.
Brown, the Wildcats' No. 3 singles player and co-captain, finished 13-3 at that position in 1999. He was a four-year varsity player and helped Jasper to its first state championship in boys tennis.
Academically, Brown ranks seventh in his senior class of 228 students with a 3.9 GPA. He has served as president of Jasper's National Honor Society for two years and has been active with the Fellowship of Christian Athletes, Student Council and the school choir.
Farm Bureau Insurance, the corporate partner of the IHSAA, presented a $1,000 scholarship to Jasper High School in the name of Brown.
Jasper 3, Center Grove 2.
1. Tony Epkey, junior, Center Grove def. Luke Recker, senior, Jasper, 6-4, 6-4.
2. Ross Schitter, junior, Jasper def. Josh Farley, junior, Center Grove, 7-5, 6-1.
3. Jeb Brown, senior, Jasper def. Evan West, freshman, Center Grove, 7-5, 6-1.
1. Joe Epkey, freshman/John Stone, sophomore, Center Grove def. Phil Schwenk, senior/Neil Giesler, sophomore, Jasper, 6-1, 6-3.
2. Jeff Braun, junior/Mark Seger, junior, Jasper def. Nathan Kist, senior/Kevin Roberts, sophomore, Center Grove, 6-4, 6-0.
Homestead 3, Munster 2.
1. Ryan Recht, junior, Homestead def. Jeff French, sophomore, Munster, 6-1, 6-2.
2. Lucas Boyer, senior, Homestead def. David Young, junior, Munster, 5-7, 6-4, 6-1.
3. David Culberg, junior, Munster def. Nick Blume, junior, Homestead, 6-1, 6-3.
1. Ryan Bulan, senior/Bill Gray, senior, Munster def. Ryan Borne, junior/Bob Phillipp, freshman, Homestead, 4-6, 7-5, 6-3.
2. Scott Miller, junior/Ted Lohman, junior, Homestead def. Zack Jones, senior/Michael Lee, freshman, Munster, 7-6 (9-7), 1-6, 6-4.
Jasper 3, Homestead 2.
1. Ryan Recht, junior, Homestead def. Luke Recker, senior, Jasper, 5-7, 6-2, 7-5.
Center Grove 4, Munster 1.
2. Zack Jones, senior/Michael Lee, freshman, Munster def. Nathan Kist, senior/Kevin Roberts, sophomore, Center Grove, 6-4, 6-4.